This path forms part of the old Seaton Burn Waggonway, formerly known as the Brunton and Shields Railroad. It was originally built to take coal from old Brunton Colliery to the Seaton Burn staiths at Northumberland Dock.
The Backworth Waggonway originated with the sinking of the Backworth A Pit and the transporting of the first Backworth coals on the Tyne in September 1818. It was originally built as a horse-drawn waggonway and was gradually converted to rope-haulage in stages. It took coal down to the West Cramlington staiths at Northumberland Dock and Whitehill Point.