This bridleway follows the course of the former eighteenth century wooden wooden waggonway, which once linked a small pit at Holystone to a staith at Wallsend. This is the Killingworth Waggonway one of the most historically significant colliery railways due to its role as a testing ground for the early locomotive experiments of George Stephenson from 1814 to 1818.
The Rising Sun Colliery, opened in 1908, was connected to the Killingworth Waggonway and the North Eastern Railway by a laborius route. The Rising Sun Colliery branch line, completed in 1942, simplified the running of coal from the Rising Sun Colliery. Remains of a former level crossing can be seen here where the former railway line crosses Kings Road North.
Originally sunk in 1906, the colliery produced coal up until 1969. In the early 1960s is was Europe’s largest deep coal mine employing 1500 people.