Burradon Waggonway Walk

Burradon Walk
Burradon Walk

Burradon Colliery (1837-1975) was served by a mineral line which linked the colliery with the Killingworth Waggonway West Moor, eventually terminating at the staiths in Wallsend, where the coal was unloaded.  The colliery is particularly famous for the 1860 mining disaster, which claimed 76 lives.

The 16th Century pele tower (Burradon Tower) is a scheduled ancient monument used as a fortified farm house during the borders reivers era.  It was Burradon’s main land mark and later became the home and offices of local tenant farmers.

2006 ‘Drill head’ sculpture
2006 ‘Drill head’ sculpture