Just around the corner is an old dry dock which once belonged to the Shields Dry Dock and Engineering Company Ltd. However it quickly became known locally as ‘The Haddock Shop’ as it specialised in the building and repair of steam trawlers. Since the development of the Dolphin Quays, ‘the Haddock Shop’ has become a basin for leisure craft.
The steep banks which divide the riverside area from the upper parts of North Shields have played a big part in shaping the character of the town. There was once a warren of narrow streets and stairs which connected the two areas and where many of the towns population made their home. The main thoroughfare was Bedford Street which originally followed the course of a stream, long since culverted, which emerged under a bridge at the junction of Liddell Street and Clive Street. The pub known as ‘The Seven Stairs’ had the address of ‘No 1 Wooden Bridge’.
A landmark higher up Bedford Street was ‘Tiger Stairs’, named after the ‘Tiger Inn’ which stood at their foot. The photograph was taken circa 1933.