The western most is the Redheugh Bridge opened in 1983. The Bridge was built by Nuttall HBM and designed by Mott Hay and Anderson who also designed the famous Tyne Bridge. The first Redheugh Bridge opened in 1870 and was built by a private company and carried both gas and water mains across the river, the pipes formed structural components of the Bridge. The engineer was Thomas Roch, engineer of the ill fated Tay Bridge which collapsed during the storm of 1879. This event led to doubts being expressed about Roches other workmanship and eventually led to the rebuilding of the Redheugh Bridge, to the design of Sandimen and Montcrief in 1901. The southern Toll House and the northern and southern masonry abutments of the old bridge were retained when the old bridge was dismantled in 1984.
The middle bridge is the King Edward the Seventh Railway Bridge and this was opened in 1906 and was built by the Cleveland Bridge Company. Oringinally called the “New High Level Bridge’, it was renamed in honour of the monarch who performed the opening ceremony. Built for the North East Railway Company to the design of Charles Harrison, it gave direct access to the west end of the Central Station and so greatly relieved congestion of the railway. Each of the two entire spans of the bridges is a hundred feet across and the massive stone piers and sunk into the river to a depth of seventy feet below high water level.
Shadowing the west end of the bridge is the bridge that became the Metro Bridge. The bridge was opened in 1981 by Queen Elizabeth 2nd and named in her honour. It like the King Edward Bridge was constructed by the Cleveland Bridge Company.