The centre of Newcastle was largely rebuilt in a neoclassical style by the combined efforts of the builder, developer and entrepreneur Richard Grainger, the architect John Dobson and the Town Clerk John Clayton. Clayton Street was completed in 1841 and was the final part of this grand scheme for town improvements.
John Clayton was Town Clerk of Newcastle for 45 years and held numerous influential positions. He will be remembered for his part in the magnificent planning and rebuilding of Newcastle city centre.
The efforts of Richard Grainger and John Dobson could not have been realised without the influence, business sense and wealth of Clayton. He was keen archaeologist and his dedication to Hadrian’s Wall proved invaluable to its later preservation. He died worth three-quarters of a million, at his Chesters estate on Hadrian’s Wall.