Location: Exhibition Park, Claremont Road, NE2 4PZ
Originally the Bull Park. In 1886 the Mayor of Newcastle requested the use of the Bull Park to hold the Royal Jubilee Exhibition in 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria’s 50th year on the throne. The Bull Park was where the City’s bull was penned for stud. The site was the wedge of land at the corner of Claremont Road and the Great North Road. Later this land was cleared to build the Hancock Museum. The organising committee realised that the Bull Park was to small for the Exhibition and further requested Town moor recreation ground. This is where the current park is now.
The Royal Jubilee Exhibition was duly held in 1887 and proved a tremendous success and attracted two million (2,000,000) visitors. The name Exhibition Park was first used during the Jubilee Exhibition of 1887 but the old name of Bull Park persisted for some time.
The only remaining item from the 1887 Exhibition is the bandstand and all other temporary buildings and structures were removed and the grounds reinstated.
Today the Park has Croquet lawns, Childrens Cycling Club, there are two tennis courts and one basketball court and a Skatepark has been developed at the main entrance. Each Saturday there is a Park Run, a 5km run – it’s you against the clock, Saturday, rain or shine, at 9:00am