The Fish Market in Victorian times (post 1880 when it was built) on the Quayside near the Guildhall. As the commercial heart of Newcastle moved away from the Quayside so did the traders and the Fish Market moved, during the twentieth century until 1976 it was on Clayton Street, From 1876 the Fish Market moved to the Green Market, part of the new Eldon Square.
Today it is difficult to know where the fish market is.Neptune looks across the Tyne from the top of the old Fish Market, erected in 1880. Also note the larger than usual sea-horses supporting the city arms above the door. This building has been unused for over a decade, but it now rejoins the commercial activity of the area, this time as a high class ale house for the booze sodden partygoers that make the nightly pilgrimage to this centre of revelry.
The upper storey of this building used to house the Town Court, and the Mayor’s Chamber. It is decorated with heraldic devices and scenes from Newcastle’s history, topped by a hammer beam roof.
Waymarkers – Lewis Robinson 2002
Before descending into the lower Ouseburn Valley, there is a ‘Waymarker’, one of a series of signposts, artworks which recur throughout the Lower Ouseburn, all have a distinct appearance and color.
Made from Steel and Glass, commissioned by – The Ouseburn Partnership. The project comprises a series of Waymarkers designed to highlight the main routes through the valley, to encourage more walkers and cyclists to use the area.
The Waymarkers draw on local history and culture for their inspiration and are interconnected by a trail of bottles marking the route through the valley. Lewis Robinson worked closely with the partnership and community to develop the project.
Teesside University – School of Arts & Media – School staffhttp://www.tees.ac.uk/schools/sam/staff_profile_details.cfm?staffprofileid=U0023662Lewis Robinson Senior Lecturer, School of Arts & Media T: 01642 738061E: email@example.com Research institute: Institute of Design, Culture and the Arts
Photographs Of Newcastle: Ouseburnhttp://www.newcastlephotos.blogspot.com/2005/12/ouseburn.htmlThe lower Ouseburn Valley through which Ouseburn river flows is home to a number of pubs (Free Trade – right at the confluence with the Tyne with good view of the bridges looking…
Thought to be designed by John Dobson – who worked closely with Richard Grainger – the market contains many shops which have been in the same family for generations, and is still home to one of the original Marks and Spencer’s Penny Bazaars (built in 1895, with its shop front being the smallest and oldest still surviving today). Every Saturday about two thousand people go to get themselves weighed at the Grainger Market.
Flickr Album Gallery Powered By: Weblizar
Location: Grainger Market, Grainger St, NE1 5QG
Location: Neville Hall, Westgate Road, NE1 1SY
Next to the Lit and Phil is Neville Hall which was built as the offices and library for the North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers.
Neville Hall on Westgate Road, Newcastle, dates back to 1871, and was conceived and developed by miners intent on developing engineering solutions to alleviate the disasters which were a feature of the industry.
Neville Hall was designed and built at the height of the Gothic Revival, look up at the down pipes on the outside of the building, to see a variety of carved sinister looking creatures. When the building is open the interior has a beautiful hall with a high arched ceiling and beautiful stained glass.
Location: Cluny, Lime Street
Built as a flax mill in 1848 on the site of an earlier corn mill, to the design of John Dobson for the firm of Plummer and Cooke, who previously owned the flax mill on the adjacent site which became Northumberland Lead Works. Flax was used to make linen and sail cloth. Originally steam powered the adjacent freestanding, recently restored chimney (SMR 1840) forms part of the original Dobson complex. Its use as a flax mill was short.
In 1866 it was bought by Proctor and Sons and converted to a flour mill. The building was extended in the mid 1870s when two brick warehouses were constructed – one for flour, the other (HER 5149) for grain. The complex is shown on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map as “”Northumberland Mills””. Then taken over by Henry Leetham & Sons in 1900. A Miss Carr apparently lived in the garden house next to the big chimney and was employed by Leethams to test each batch of flour by baking small loaves of bread in her oven.
The flour mill stood empty for many years until it was taken over by McPhersons Wine and Spirit Merchants in the 1920s, who stored bonded whiskey under the brand name of Cluny. Now internally divided, it has a variety of users, mainly craftspersons or artists and a café bar. Sandstone ashlar, later brick additions and attic storey date to 1870s, Welsh slate roof. The road between mill and chimney is at a much higher level than the internal cobbled yard into which the former coal shoots opened. One of the shoots retains its original metal shutter.
The Cluny is now a great bar and music venue with a great selection of real ales. Just up from here is the recently opened Seven Stories, the Centre for Childrens Books, which is a superb place to go to see an inspirational collection of original artworks, manuscripts and all manner of other paraphernalia and activities relating to childrens books. (Note there is a fee to get in, but its free to use the book shop and cafe.)
Instead of heading back along Lime Street, take the river footpath again behind the Cluny, Seven Stories and Studio workshops. There are a number of interpretation plaques, three, which do a good job of conveying the history of the river at this point. The river path will take you back all the way to the River Tyne.
[catlist id=47 numberposts=30 pagination=yes instance=1]
Cafe Royal Market Street Newcastle
Union Rooms now a JD Wetherspoons Pub, stunning interiors, beautiful tiles, paintings and stained glass.
The Sun Insurance Building, located where Collingwood Street meets Westgate Road, not only does it have this beautiful face, but also one of the most spectacular and extraordinary doorways in the City. Not to be missed.